Household Propane Safety
Safety at Souza Propane!
Important Propane Safety Info - For You and Your Family
IF YOU SMELL GAS:
1. NO FLAMES OR SPARKS! Immediately put out all smoking materials and other open flames. Do not operate lights, appliances, telephones or cell phones. Flames or sparks from these sources can trigger an explosion or a fire.
2. LEAVE THE AREA IMMEDIATELY! Get everyone out of the building or area where you suspect gas is leaking.
3. SHUT OFF THE GAS. Turn off the main gas supply valve on your propane tank if it is safe to do so. To close the valve, turn it to the right (clockwise).
4. REPORT THE LEAK. From a neighbor's home or other nearby building away from the gas leak, call your propane retailer right away. If you can't reach your propane retailer, call 911 or your local fire department.
5. DO NOT RETURN TO THE BUILDING OR AREA! Wait until your propane retailer determines that it is safe to do so.
6. GET YOUR SYSTEM CHECKED. Before you attempt to use any of your propane appliances, your propane retailer or a qualified service technician must check your entire system to ensure that it is leak-free.
CAN YOU SMELL IT?
Propane smells like rotten eggs, a skunk's spray or a dead animal. Some people may have difficulty smelling propane due to their age (older people may have a less sensitive sense of smell), a medical condition or the effects of medication, alcohol, tobacco or drugs. Consider purchasing a propane gas detector as an additional measure of security.
Odor fade is an unintended reduction in the concentration of the odor of propane, making it more difficult to smell. Although rare, several situations can cause odor fade:
- The presence of air, water or rust in a propane tank or cylinder
- The passage of leaking propane through the soil
Since there is a possibility of odor fade or problems with your sense of smell, you should respond immediately to even a faint odor of gas.
PROPANE GAS DETECTORS
Propane gas detectors sound an alarm if they sense propane in the air. They can provide an additional measure of security in homes with little-used areas or with occupants who have difficulty smelling propane.
Guidelines regarding propane gas detectors:
- Only buy units that are listed by Underwriters Laboratories (UL).
- Follow the manufacturer's instructions regarding installation and maintenance.
- Never ignore the smell of propane, even if no detector is sounding an alarm.
CARBON MONOXIDE AND YOUR SAFETY
WHAT IS CARBON MONOXIDE (CO)? You can't taste or smell “CO”, but it is a very dangerous gas, produced when any fuel burns. High levels of “CO” can come from appliances that are not operating correctly or from a venting system or chimney that becomes blocked.
“CO” CAN BE DEADLY! High levels of “CO” can make you dizzy or sick (see below). In extreme cases, “CO” can cause brain damage or death.
Symptoms of “CO” poisoning include:
- Shortness of breath
IF YOU SUSPECT “CO” IS PRESENT, ACT IMMEDIATELY!
1. If you or a family member shows physical symptoms of “CO” poisoning, get everyone out of the building and call 911 or your local fire department.
2. If it is safe to do so, open windows to allow entry of fresh air and turn off any appliances you suspect may be releasing “CO”.
3. If no one has symptoms, but you suspect that “CO” is present, call your propane retailer or a qualified service technician to check “CO” levels and your propane equipment.
TO HELP REDUCE THE RISK OF “CO” POISONING:
Have a qualified service technician check your propane appliances and related venting systems annually, preferably before the heating season begins. Install UL-listed “CO” detectors on every level of your home.
- Never use a gas oven or range-top burners to provide space heating.
- Never use portable heaters indoors unless they are designed and approved for indoor use.
- Never use a barbecue grill (propane or charcoal) indoors for cooking or heating.
- Regularly check your appliance exhaust vents for blockage.
SIGNS OF IMPROPER APPLIANCE OPERATION THAT CAN GENERATE HIGH “CO” LEVELS:
- Sooting, especially on appliances and vents.
- Unfamiliar or burning odor.
- Increased moisture inside of windows.
LIGHTING PILOT LIGHTS
IF A PILOT LIGHT REPEATEDLY GOES OUT or is very difficult to light, there may be a safety problem. DO NOT try to fix the problem yourself. It is strongly recommended that only a QUALIFIED SERVICE TECHNICIAN light any pilot light that has gone out.
YOU ARE TAKING THE RISK of starting a fire or an explosion if you light a pilot light yourself. Carefully follow all of the manufacturer’s instructions and warnings concerning the appliance before attempting to light the pilot.
LEAVE IT TO THE EXPERTS. Only a qualified service technician has the training to install, inspect, service, maintain and repair your appliances. Have your appliances and propane system inspected just before the start of each heating season.
HELP YOUR APPLIANCES "BREATHE." Check the vents of your appliances to be sure that flue gases can flow easily to the outdoors; clear away any insect or bird nests and other debris. Also, clear the area around your appliances so plenty of air can reach the burner for proper combustion.
DO NOT TRY TO MODIFY OR REPAIR valves, regulators, connectors, controls or other appliance and cylinder/tank parts. Doing so creates the risk of a gas leak that can result in property damage, serious injury or death.
HAVE OLDER APPLIANCE CONNECTORS INSPECTED. Certain older appliance connectors may crack or break, causing a gas leak. If you have an appliance that is more than 20 years old, have a qualified service technician inspect the connector. Do not do this yourself, as movement of the appliance might damage the connector and cause a leak.
FLAMMABLE VAPORS ARE A SAFETY HAZARD. The pilot light on your propane appliance can ignite vapors from gasoline, paint thinners and other flammable liquids. Be sure to store and use flammable liquids outdoors or in an area of the building containing no propane appliances.
DON'T RISK IT! If you cannot operate any part of your propane system or if you think an appliance or other device is not working correctly, call your propane retailer or a qualified service technician for assistance.
RUNNING OUT OF GAS
DON'T RUN OUT OF GAS. SERIOUS SAFETY HAZARDS, INCLUDING FIRE OR EXPLOSION, CAN RESULT.
- If an appliance valve or a gas line is left open, a leak could occur when the system is recharged with propane.
- If your propane tank runs out of gas, any pilot lights on your appliances will go out. This can be extremely dangerous.
A LEAK CHECK IS REQUIRED. In many states, a propane retailer or a qualified service technician must perform a leak check of your propane system before turning on the gas.
Call Us Today At
In Business Since 1936
Souza Propane Sales & Service
2548 Paulson Road
Turlock, CA 94510
Se Habla Español
Monday - Friday 8:00am - 5:00pm
Saturday & Sunday Closed
Saturday & Sunday Closed